Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 1998 09:35:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Mark Huizer <freebsd@xaa.iae.nl>
Cc:        Dusk Auriel Sykotik <syko@sykotik.org>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, dg@root.com, narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: memory leaks in libc

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Mark Huizer wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 06, 1998 at 12:07:04PM -0400, Dusk Auriel Sykotik wrote:
> > Apache uses them quite frequently.  And this could make it very costly on
> > large webservers.  Where I work, we have hundreds of connections to some
> > of our webservers per minute.  We also use cgi scripts very frequently,
> > and these use *env* functions quite frequently as well.
> >
> > /*
> >  *   Matt Harris                   +++   Syko
> >  *   BPSOFH, BIOFH, C, SQL, PERL   +++   http://starix.technonet.net/~syko/
> >  *   FreeBSD SysAdmin              +++   apocalypse.sykotik.org
> >  */
>
> Hmm... then we should write a nice DoS attack for apache, would that be a
> reason for solving it?

  Couldn't be done.  CGI scripts are so short lived, that that memory gets
cleaned up on its own anyhow.  Perhaps specific a DoS attack could be
tailored to a specific CGI script, but I would argue that the CGI script
is broken.  CGI is used less and less anyhow, as peole use better and
faster methods of server side scripting.

> Mark

Tom