Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 07:51:08 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Lists Account <lists@security.za.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   NOS-TUN / Natd

Hi All,

Just a quick question out of interests sake, I was setting up nos-tunnels
yesterday, and I had the tunnel functioning 100% perfectly, however I
could not get it to NAT the remote side of the tunnel, until I put an ipfw
divert 8668 ip from any to any via any statement in my firewall config.

What I first tried, and this failed was to divert all incoming packets
coming into tun0 and nat them going out, however the system didnt even
attempt to nat packets when I tried this (I used the follow ipfw
statements to try it:

ipfw add 1 divert 8668 ip from any to any via tun0 (This did nothing for
the packets, didnt even touch them)

ipfw add 1 divert 8668 ip from any to any in recv tun0 (Try and divert
anything coming in via tun0, didnt even attempt to nat these packets
either).

Does anyone have any idea WHY I would have to divert ALL packets instead
of just those on tun0 to get the nat to work?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Andrew