Date:      Mon, 2 Aug 2004 09:14:46 +1000
From:      "Peter Sandilands" <peter@sandilands.vu>
To:        "Mitch (bitblock)" <mitch@bitblock.com>, <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: ipsec packet filtering

IPFW rules
> > Pete
> ok.
> Will this allow me to do the following:
>
> Client 1 <--\
>            FREEBSD ROUTER <----> Internet
> Client 2 <--/
>
> Client 1, although on the same subnet as client 2, can not
> directly connect to Client 2. This is an underlying restriction of
the ATM
> transport of the telco we deal with. No option.
>
> I want to connect client 1, and client 2. I can create a
> VPN from client 1 to central router, and client 2 to central router.
In the
> past, I could not route this traffic. Are you saying this should be
possible now?

Taken me a while to think thru your Q.

If the vpns have separate SAs and you use unique instead of require in
the policy entry I think the answer is yes.
That is assuming both vpns go out the one interface? You need that so
the IPSEC code sees each VPN as different even tho' they use the one
physical i/f

However there may be an underlying packet routing issue here. I think
you would need static routes defined for each client with the
interface as the target rather than the IP  eg:

route add 192.168.1.0/24 -interface rl1

regards
Pete