Date:      Sat, 18 May 1996 21:28:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      invalid opcode <coredump@nervosa.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   catman

It's obvious that catman is a Good Thing (tm), _except_ for the fact that
the old man files are still laying around. I have come to my own
conclusion that they are still needed because of makewhatis(1). I know
it's possible to catman a binarie's, etc's, manpages instead of just gzip
-9'ing them while doing a make world. Not only would this leave us with
possibly smaller, or possibly bigger manpages, but they would be a whole
lot faster, and the space savings would be about the same as having the
old manpages. The only thing I can think of as a hinderance to this is
makewhatis. Maybe we should make catman take on the responsibility of
makewhatis, so at the time we catman a manpage, we also write an entry to
/usr/share/man/whatis. Opinions wanted.

== Chris Layne ======================================== Nervosa Computing ==
== coredump@nervosa.com ================ http://www.nervosa.com/~coredump ==