Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:59:40 -0500
From:      "Cambria, Mike" <mcambria@avaya.com>
To:        'Julian Elischer' <julian@elischer.org>, 'Archie Cobbs' <archie@dellroad.org>, "'freebsd-net@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Unnumbered IP Interface

The driver is lmc.  The version from the SBEI (formally LanMedia) web site
does not support netgraph.  Their support claims to have one (or will have
one I forget).  I want to hold off on NG at the moment.

As for what I'm doing.  In this case, I have 4 of these PCI cards.  I
eventually, I want to be dual homed to 2 different ISP's and run BGP4.  The
other two p2p lines will go to different remote sites (e.g. "leased line").
I'll need to run OSPF (or possibly RIP) on the leased lines and BGP4 to the
ISP's.

In one case, the box at the other end forces me to use unnumbered interfaces
(hence my initial message).  In the other cases I'm staging the BSD box here
first.

There are subnets at the other end of all these p2p connections.  Route
advertisements will need to be exchanged over the p2p links.  I'm just
getting to this part in the lab now and wanted to get some hints.  For
example, Archie's answer for unnumbered interfaces isn't in the route
manpage.  I'm glad I asked.

MikeC