Date:      Thu, 4 May 2000 18:39:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Visigoth <visigoth@telemere.net>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Qlogic advice...

(Please reply to me as well, as I am not on the scsi list)

	Greetings all...

	I am running a FreeBSD-4 (cvsuped and built the day before
yesterday) NFS server using an external fibre channel array controled by a
Qlogic ISP 2100 PCI FC-AL Adapter.  Today at some point (under almost non
existant load) I started recieving io errors and getting messages like
device not configured.  Needless to say, the rest of my machines dependant
on that server stopped functioning properly ;) The only thing recorded in
the log is

May  4 14:21:31 nfs /kernel: (da1:isp0:0:124:0): Invalidating pack
May  4 14:21:31 nfs last message repeated 52 times

	Not having a super high amount of experience with fibre channel
devices I was wondering if anybody has any debuging ideas for me, or if
this is something that anybody has seen before.  The device not configured
and io failure make me think somebody bumped the cord or something, but it
was in a locked case in a locked server room so.....

	Also, I don't currently have any options configured in the kernel
for this device other than

device          isp             # Qlogic family

	So, if anybody has any config optimization ideas, they would be
much appreciated as well. ;)

	Thanks all for your time, and a wonderful (the best) OS!

Visigoth

Damieon Stark
Sr. Unix Systems Administrator
visigoth@telemere.net

- M$ Win 2K was built for the internet.	|
- Unix _BUILT_ the internet.		|   FreeBSD - The POWER to serve
					|   http://www.freebsd.org
	your call...			|