Date:      Sat, 07 Dec 1996 17:06:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Discription of device functions?

I'm running 2.1.6 with a SB16 card. I've compiled the sb support
into the kernel and it seems to work just fine.

There seems to be little documentation of the "how tos" on the
various device files in /dev, like /dev/audio, /dev/dsp, and
so forth.

I discovered that /dev/audio will play .au files copied to
"catted" to it, but I wonder about most of the rest.

Apparently this "tradition" began in the Sun world. Since
that's foreign to me, I need some documentation to use this
stuff.

Thanks,

-Jim Durham