Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 96 22:18 WET
From:      uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Cc:        uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org
Subject:   Crash advice needed (long) APPENDIX A

A few minutes after my first long-winded explanation of the crashes
I have been having, another crash occurred.  I was typing away on screen
4 when the console went dead (no response in vi) and the disks quit
chattering.  I switched over to screen 1 and found a panic display.

I began to copy it down, but the message quickly scrolled off the
screen due to repeated messages from the SCSI driver.
(Gripe! there needs to be a way to prevent this.)

Here are the highlights I was able to record:

Fatal tray 12 page fault while in kernel mode
Virtual address 0x10
IP at 0xf0195d3c  (exact address as the crash earlier today, somewhere
		   in Xintr15 and IRQ 15 is used by SCSI on this system)

syncing disks
sd0(aha0:0:0:) timed out:
adapter not taking commands.. frozen?!
Debugger("aha1542") called		(this system has a 1540B)
AGAIN
aha0: MBO 02 and not 00 (free)
These last few lines repeat every ten seconds or so until I got
tired of looking at them and pressed RESET.

(I have seen this MBO 02 and not 00 (free) message on a 1542C
 controller at work when it is talking to a WangDat tape drive.
 Sometimes this system also gets a "NO SENSE" message and
 will claim the tape drive is not ready (it is ready) or busy (it isn't).
 Solution on that system: turn everything off and back on and everyone
 is happy.  Unfortunately, cycling power does not improve things here.)

I hope this helps provide a clue.  Note also on this system that
the bulk of disk I/O occurs on the SCSI drive since news, uucp and
mail all have their spools there and it was quite busy when this
crash occurred.   The IDE was hardly ticking over.

Frank Durda IV <uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org>|Chief Dalek: "The supreme council
or uhclem%nemesis@rwsystr.nkn.net           | has ordered that London
					    | destroyed with fire bombs."
or ...letni!rwsys!nemesis!uhclem	    |Peon Dalek: "I obey.  Do you
					      want fries with that?"