Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 1998 14:44:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Timothy J Luoma <public+FreeBSD@fdt.net>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@panke.de.freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Several documentation questioons (all short)

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Wolfram Schneider wrote:

> On 1998-12-25 01:45:47 -0500, Timothy J Luoma wrote:
> > 1) Is there a reason why there can't be gzipped versions of the handbook
> > offered in addition to the non-gzipped ones?
>
> No - except lack of time of the FreeBSD developers.

It that something that a brainless newbie (ie me) could help with?

> > 	I saved 15% on the PDF version and XX% on the .ps version
>
> The PDF version is for windows users which does not have postscript
> readers and gzip archiver. It should not be gzip'ed.

OK, I can understand that but

	gzip -c handbook.pdf >handbook.pdf.gz

would give both (I'm sure you knew that already)

> The html, asci and ps versions are updated daily at the
> Web server www.freebsd.org

> The pdf version at the FTP server will be randomly
> updated by hand every quarter or so ...

Unfortunately the PS version doesn't look right for me under NeXTStep (the
pages all go off the far right margin) and I wanted a printable/formatted
version, so I needed the PDF one (which looked fine except for a few
places).

Another possilby dumb q: I have the 2.2.7 CDs, is there a way for me to
generate the PDF handbook off those? (I don't have a working FreeBSD
system yet, but I can mount the CDs under NeXTstep and if I can make the
handbook.PDF file off whatever documentation is there, I would use that.

Thanks for your time in helping me get started on this
TjL