Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 1998 16:07:50 -0000
From:      "Nawaf Razak" <shesha@btinternet.com>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Recommended Reading

------=_NextPart_000_0069_01BD54E3.7F4C2D10

Am not sure if these going to be helpful, but they are what I read and =
they have helped me to slowly grasp the Unix world.

Learning Unix Second Edition - Sams Publishing - James Gardner (Unix in =
General)
The first one on the list I found to be very helpful and simple to =
understand it even comes with a disk that emulates a unix environment =
and even starts you off with a  couple of moves such as ls, pwd, more , =
vi, grep , explanation of the unix directory etc etc..

Unix for Dummies 2nd Edition - IDG BOOKS - John R. Levine, Margaret =
Levine Young (Unix in General) For anyone that thats been to the =
computer bookstore or book section am sure you have landed on these =
before they the ones that stick out very distinct in color yellow, and =
always has the 2 milllion sold emblem on them. Simple but just as a =
source of reference.

Running Linux 2nd Edition - Matt Welsh and Lauren Kaufman (Linux RH =
orientated but does give you a good perspective on the Unix) This one is =
very good especially if you are into RH but have to admit some sections =
do come in handy and it's not technically written, however please do =
read it first to get an idea of it.

The Complete FreeBSD by Greg Lehey 2nd Edition (FreeBSD) The must dont =
think I could have managed an install for FreeBSD without this book, =
think this one would be a wise investment however I would not consider =
it to be the only manual to have for running FreeBSD, I found it to be =
hard at time to follow in certain sections, anyways, think another book =
on the side would also be helpful always better to have to types of =
writing styles to explain to you when you are going to venture out into =
something new.

Of course there are plenty of websites out there that are very helpful, =
but nothing better than to try things out for yourself, just dont give =
up trying, you will eventually get there, I did after 2 hours but thats =
cause I had some experience with Linux, besides you'll make things so =
much easier for yourself if you just read the first couple of pages on =
how to install FreeBSD. :)

Best of luck for you all

By the way am a newbie ...

"Anger is the wind that blows out the lamp of intelligence"

------=_NextPart_000_0069_01BD54E3.7F4C2D10

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Am not sure if these going to be helpful, but they =
are what I=20
read and they have helped me to slowly grasp the Unix =
world.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Learning Unix Second Edition - Sams Publishing - =
James Gardner=20
(Unix in General)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>The first one on the list I found to =
be very=20
helpful and simple to understand it even comes with a disk that emulates =
a unix=20
environment and even starts you off with a&nbsp; couple of moves such as =
ls,=20
pwd, more , vi, grep , explanation of the unix directory etc=20
etc..</FONT></DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Unix for Dummies 2nd Edition - IDG BOOKS - John R. =
Levine,=20
Margaret Levine Young (Unix in General) For anyone that thats been to =
the=20
computer bookstore or book section am sure you have landed on these =
before they=20
the ones that stick out very distinct in color yellow, and always has =
the 2=20
milllion sold emblem on them. Simple but just as a source of=20
reference.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Running Linux =
2nd Edition -=20
Matt Welsh and Lauren Kaufman (Linux RH orientated but does give you a =
good=20
perspective on the Unix) This one is very good especially if you are =
into RH but=20
have to admit some sections do come in handy and it's not technically =
written,=20
however please do read it first to get an idea of it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The Complete FreeBSD by Greg Lehey 2nd Edition =
(FreeBSD) The=20
must dont think I could have managed an install for FreeBSD without this =
book,=20
think this one would be a wise investment however I would not consider =
it to be=20
the only manual to have for running FreeBSD, I found it to be hard at =
time to=20
follow in certain sections, anyways, think another book on the side =
would also=20
be helpful always better to have to types of writing styles to explain =
to you=20
when you are going to venture out into something new.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Of course there are plenty of websites out there =
that are very=20
helpful, but nothing better than to try things out for yourself, just =
dont give=20
up trying, you will eventually get there, I did after 2 hours but thats =
cause I=20
had some experience with Linux, besides you'll make things so much =
easier for=20
yourself if you just read the first couple of pages on how to install =
FreeBSD.=20
:)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Best of luck for you all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>By the way am a newbie ...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&quot;Anger is the wind that blows out the lamp of=20
intelligence&quot;</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0069_01BD54E3.7F4C2D10--