Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 2014 10:40:27 +0000
From:      freebsd@jonathanprice.org
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Should I be using ipv6_activate_all_interfaces or ip6addrctl_policy="ipv6_prefer"

Hello,=0A=0AI am configuring a server with IPv4 and IPv6 addresses and ha=
ve noticed that FreeBSD seems to be preferring IPv4, such as when establi=
shing SSH connections.=0A=0AAfter reading through /etc/defaults/rc.conf, =
and later /etc/rc.d/ip6addrctl I have come to the conclusion that I have =
two ways to tell FreeBSD to prefer IPv6:=0A=0A1) Add ipv6_activate_all_in=
terfaces to /etc/rc.conf=0A2) Add ip6addrctl_policy=3D"ipv6_prefer" to /e=
tc/rc.conf=0A=0ACould anybody with a little more knowledge on the matter =
explain to me which of the two options is more preferential?=0A=0AIf it h=
elps, I only have a single NIC in the server, and it does not function as=
 a gateway.=0A=0AThanks,=0AJonathan.=0A=0A(I do apologise if this email e=
nds up being sent as HTML. I haven't tried sending plaintext from this pa=
rticular webmail client before).