Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 17:01:47 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Jamie Lawrence <jal@42is.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netstat reporting foreign address as *.*

>What does the final line from this snipped netstat output
>indicate? I'd never seen it before today.
>
>colonel: {316} netstat
>Active Internet connections
>Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
>tcp        0      0  www.findelvis.co.http  kenton-cs-2.dial.1215  ESTABLISHED
>tcp        0     80  205.217.47.82.telnet   vegas.2050             ESTABLISHED
>tcp        0      0  colonel.2257           *.*                    LISTEN
>
>thanks!

   When the local or foreign address has stars, this indicates an unconnected
wildcard PCB. In the above example, there is something listening for new
connections on port 2257 on the local address 'colonel' (it might make more
sense to use the '-n' option with netstat so that addresses and ports come
out numerically). The '-a' option is also useful and displays info on all
PCBs.

-DG

David Greenman