Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 1999 13:30:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   A new 'sploit?

On one of our client's servers, we found a directory structure full of
alternating <CR>Your public key (512-bit) goes here<CR> and
capital-A-repeated directory names.  I assume the script kiddie should
have replaced all the capital-A's with their public key.  Inside these
directories 'find.core' was linked to /root/.ssh/authorized_keys

Now... since my authorized_keys file is not overwritten, I gather that
root processes don't drop core any longer?  Maybe I have corefiles
ulimited to 0.  Anyways...

I'm still stuck with trying to remove this giant block of
directories.  Bash won't allow me to cd into them, but if I cd into
them with sh, I can get all the way to the end.  Once I'm in that last
directory, if I try to run any command (any non-internal command), I
get:

[1:\#:\!]\u@eve:\w> pwd | wc
wc: argument list too long
[1:\#:\!]\u@eve:\w> pwd >/tmp/foo
[1:\#:\!]\u@eve:\w> wc /tmp/foo
wc: argument list too long
[1:\#:\!]\u@eve:\w> echo *
find.core
[1:\#:\!]\u@eve:\w> rm fine.core
rm: argument list too long

FYI (I'm not going to include the whole file):

[1:19:319]root@eve:/usr/local/bin> wc /tmp/foo
     601    2701   87914 /tmp/foo
[1:20:320]root@eve:/usr/local/bin> head /tmp/foo
/u/adam/10622/
YOUR PUBLIC SSH1 KEY (-b 512) GOES HERE!
/AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA/
[...]

Dave.