Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 1997 21:17:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      stevel <stevel@logues.rhn.orst.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   UPS daemon

Is there anyone working on a generic UPS daemon?  I know someone is
working on one specifically for APC Smart UPS's, but this isn't usefull to
the majority of people.  We mostly have "non-smart", TrippLite's and APC
out there right?  Tripplite BC series, OmniPro series / APC BackUPS
series.

I would like to write a UPSd in C++, but I don't have enough knowledge of
serial programming yet.  Also, I would like some input about how the
FreeBSD startup, and shutdown events happen.  I am very familiar with the
SYSV style startup/shutdown as implemented in RedHat Linux, and how
sysvinit supports power event signals.  What is the corollary in BSD?  As
far as I'm concerned, I don't even want to have to mess with init.  I'd
like to do my own shutdowns, and cancelations?

-STEVEl