Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2000 15:07:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        David Thiel <dthiel@nexprise.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What's up with yp login authentication?

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, David Thiel wrote:

>I'm also having some very bizarre yp problems.  I've double and
>triple-checked my configuration, and although I can do ypwhich and ypcat
>the NIS maps, logins don't appear to authenticate through NIS.  Maybe
>there's something I'm missing, but I added a test user after enabling
>NIS, and they didn't authenticate through it.  Is there something
>different one has to do when adding users under NIS?

You could have had a brainfart like I did this morning.  I just fixed my
NIS problem.  I copied the shadow file off of my IRIX NIS server without
remembering to run it through awk and convert from a sixth edition
passwd format to the BSD format that includes the extra fields for login
classes, etc.  I couldn't get it to authenticate because it was not able
to read the master.passwd.byname and .byuid maps properly.  Finger could
get the information since it was only looking in the passwd.byname and
.byuid maps.

Brandon D. Valentine
bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
"Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying