Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 22:39:38 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Ken <kvgu@uswest.net>
Cc:        Erin Fortenberry <erinf@lusardi.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Only 16MB RAM in a 200MB box

In the last episode (Jul 26), Ken said:
> Okay, a bit more info.  I've got 3 other boxes, all running 3.2, each
> sporting 128 MB RAM, and all using generic 3.2 kernel.  So now I need to
> compile a custom kernel just to use 200MB?  This is FreeBSD- not NT!
>
> Thanks for your output, btw.  I'll delve deeper into this.

Are your other 3 boxes all Compaqs?  No Compaq I've ever laid hands on
(admittedly in the 486 and pentium range) has been able to report more
than 16MB; it's some genetic deficency inherited from model to model as
far as I can tell.

Luckily, setting MAXMEM has always worked on them.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com