Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:00:39 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>, Jordan K Hubbard <jkh@queasyweasel.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Package system flaws?

At 9:55 AM -0500 7/10/02, Jonathan Lemon wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 09:10:42PM -0700, Jordan K Hubbard wrote:
>  > ..., but I will bring up something that nobody seems to have
>  > touched on yet:  Fat packages.
>
>Why does this remind me of the pain I had to go through where I
>had to download a .pkg to my netcom account, and write my own
>'thinner' program to strip out the unwanted architecture cruft
>before actually downloading the new .pkg over a 9600b link to
>my NeXTSTEP/i386 machine?

You didn't have to do that with *my* NeXTSTEP packages...  :-)

I always provided multiple files.  Four single-architecture
packages, and one fat package.  If you needed to download two
separate architectures, the four-architecture package was about
the same size as two single-architecture packages (iirc).