Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 08:34:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jaime <jaime@snowmoon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mouse use freezes OS

	This is a weird one.  First some background.  My old 5GB hard
drive died, so I replaced it with a new 45GB hard drive.  My OS and data
was on a 13GB hard drive anyway (the 5GB was an old OS installation and
some backups) so there wasn't really any actual data loss.

	Then I discovered that the new HD was too big for my mother
board.  I flashed the BIOS and it began to work.  I booted, used tar -cpf
- -C /old-stuff . | tar -xpf - -C /new-stuff in order to transfer the
files to the new drive.  This seems to have worked, since the computer was
able to boot from my new hard drive.

	Then I had issues with ed0 giving timeouts.  I set the BIOS to
treat IRQ 10 as a legacy ISA device (instead of a PCI/ISA PnP device) and
it worked again.  I thought that all was happy, but it wasn't.

	When I tried to use my trackball (COM1, mousesystems, XF86
controls it not moused) nothing happened.  At xdm, no motion of the
pointer occured.  I tried using /stand/sysinstall to configure the mouse
daemon, just to see what was going on.  I set the protocol and port and
hit "Enable".  Nothing happened:  no pointer movement or even a
pointer.  I tried a few other protocols, just in case, but nothing ever
improved.  Finally, a pointer showed up, but then the system completely
locked.  I couldn't cancel sysinstall with a Control-C, I couldn't switch
virtual terminals, and I couldn't see the NetATalk file sharing to Macs
from the Chooser on my Mac.

	Since then I have tried many combinations of settings in
sysinstall's moused configuration screen and in XF86's graphical
configuration screen.  I have never gotten the pointer to move at all.  I
have never gotten the buttons to work.  After a small number of tries (3-8
different configs) the OS always locks up without so much as a panic
warning.

	Any thoughts?

							TIA,
							Jaime