Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 08:25:06 -0800
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
To:        pat.groce@state.sd.us, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: unix is a problem: free bsd doesn't help

On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 10:01:11AM -0600, pat.groce@state.sd.us wrote:
> We had been running freebsd for 4 years to handle our internet email. Last
> week the hard drive crashed on the system. I had a tape backup of important
> files so i reinstalled using the new freebsd 3.0 version.
>
> My experience was utter horror and despair! The new version have several
> problems - my ethernet card wouldn't work  - until we turned the port on our
> cabletron switch to 10 mbps instead of auto negotiate. I tried compiling new
> versions of majoirdom to get the listservs running - but all it gave me were
> cryptic errors. Sendmail keeps giving me an error:
>
> sendmail[131]: NOQUEUE: low on space (have 0, SMTP-DAEMON needs 101 in
> /var/spool/mqueue)
>
> and countless other errors. I have to shutdown the system every 10 hours and
> restart it just to telnet to it.
>
> To hell with FreeBSD. We are replacing all of the systems with NT versions
> of sendmail. And it works great! I neat little GUI makes sendmail and the
> Exchange listservs easy to manage.The software may cost more, but in terms
> of staff time, we're saving thousands, not to mention all the frustration.
>
> I read all the news on how unix is going to give microsoft a run for the
> operating system market. I don't believe it for a second.

I'm sorry that you had so many problems with FreeBSD after you lost a disk
but, to be perfectly honest, most of your problems were of your own
making. It is an accepted principle in Systems Administration that one
restores a backup onto a system running the same release of an OS that the
backup was made on. You should have install that same version of FreeBSD
that you were running on to the new hard disk and then restored your
backup.

Another accepted principle in Systems Administration is that one never puts
a new version of an OS into production without testing it first also one
never puts a ".0" version of anything into production. You should have
stuck to the version of FreeBSD that you were running and tried 3.0 on
another box to see if it would work properly in your environment and on
your hardware.

I am hoping that you will give FreeBSD another try, it served you well for
4 years. If not, I wish you well.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 3.0
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses