Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2007 11:46:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      kev c <kevcormier@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help no network with dhcp

--- security <security@jim-liesl.org> wrote:

>    kev c wrote:
>
> --- Kip Macy [1]<kip.macy@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Nov 17, 2007 2:40 PM, kev c
> [2]<kevcormier@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> I am trying to install freebsd from an ftp server
>

> but
>

> the dhcp configuration is not working in
>

> sysinstall.
>

> It says, no dhcpoffers received..
>
> The computer is wired to a dlink di624 router
>

> acting
>

> as a dhcp server. The server works with windows..
>

> Can you provide a tcpdump from another machine on
> the network to see
> if the DHCP requests are completely ignored? What is
> the ethernet
> card?
>

> It is a cnet pro200wl with a davicom dm9102a
> chipset.
>
> I installed freebsd from a cd and then ran dhclient
> and tcpdump kept on saying,
>
> ...ip 0.0.0.0.bootpc > 255.255.255.255.bootps:
> bootp/dhcp, request from..(oui unknown), length: 300
>

> -Kip
>
>    Kip, Can you run wireshark, ethereal or tcpdump
> from another computer
>    in the LAN?  It should see the broadcast.  I know
> you said it works
>    under windows, but do you have any MAC filtering
> going on at the dlink
>    end?  What version of FreeBSD are you working
> with?  Does the dlink
>    have a log that would show it's DHCP activity?
>    thx

Its me, kev. Sorry, I misunderstood the request. I
redid the test on a separate computer and it didnt
broadcast the dhcprequest.

The router's log shows no dhcp activities.

I tried by passing the router and using my isp's dhcp
server but the result was the same.

I tried useing sysinstall on a computer with a
different network card and it worked.

I am useing 6.2 release.