Date:      Sun, 4 Nov 2001 05:35:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        brain_damaged <brain_damaged@florida-wireless.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what does all this mean ?

On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, brain_damaged wrote:

> Doing a df shows my / being 108% used. I am not sure why. I have not
> installed anything since setting up the box. But being a fbsd newbie I
> am not sure if I might have a problem.

it's generally a bad idea to have any partition at well over the max.

could you provide us with a bit more information?

perhaps the output of mount, df -k, and so on?

> So I did a cd / then went to cd dev and did a ls -l and I get this
> below. I could not find what the c meant ? I saw that d is directory
> and l is link but no mention of c. and what is the 0x000000 all about
> ? I thougth /dev held device drivers for hardware ?

those are all devices on your machine, please do not make the mistake of
removing those. they're rather important. the "c" indicates that it is a
"character device".

please read the man pages for ls(1).

please also ready the FreeBSD handbook, as it's an amazing resource for
beginniners with FreeBSD, and with UNIX in general.

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/

-- jan