Date:      Sat, 1 Dec 2001 00:08:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Mark Yeck" <y3k@gti.net>
To:        anthony@freebie.atkielski.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Feeding the Troll (Was: freebsd as a desktop ?)

[moved to freebsd-chat]

> Mark writes:
>
>> Being purpose-built isnt in and of itself a
>> technical advantage ...
>
> I disagree.  All else being equal, a purpose-built system is always
> superior to a generalized system.

This is not always true. A popular topic in engineering circles these days
is Design Reuse. There are many advantages to modify a proven system to meet
the requirements of a similar task, or using proven elements of an existing
system in a new system, over designing a purpose built system completely
from scratch.

>> ... and it could be argued that it's offset
>> by the fact that UNIX was on the desktop years
>> before Windows existed.
>
> Being around for years has nothing to do with technical suitability for
> a specific purpose.

Mere existance for a longer time means nothing, of course, but constant
refinement over a longer period time is a definate advantage. I'm not sure
of the exact length of time, but my estimates are that UNIX has been on the
desktop for at least 13 years, Windows for about 8 and Windows NT for about
6.

>> As far as I can recall, the only strictly technical
>> arguement you've offered was the tighter integration
>> with the hardware (mostly for games).
>
> Plus a single-user design, and native GUI support.

I've never seen an advantage for the end user due to either of these.

-mark