Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:10:22 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: no newgroup/newgrp in FreeBSD?

At 4:17 PM +0200 1/16/01, Peter Pentchev wrote:
>PS. And yes, I've heard before that FreeBSD is still quite far
>  from SUSv2 compliance; still, I had to write this for a friend
>  with some very weird shell/web hosting requirements, who did
>  not want to change his existing scripts' modus operandi..

If your friend is worried about SingleUnixSpec V2, he should read
this quote from the description of newgrp in that specification:

     The newgrp command is intended only for use from an
     interactive terminal. It does not offer a useful
     interface for the support of applications.

     The exit status of newgrp is generally inapplicable.
     If newgrp is used in a script, in most cases it will
     successfully invoke a new shell and the rest of the
     original shell script will be bypassed when the new
     shell exits.

So while it might be debated whether FreeBSD should have any
newgrp command at all, the specification makes it clear that
your friend should not be using it in any script.

Thus, tell your friend to change his scripts, "in order to
comply with SUSv2".