Date:      Tue, 06 Mar 2007 15:41:19 +0000
From:      "rance@frontiernet.net" <rance@frontiernet.net>
To:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: home router with internal services available question [SOLVED] - followup

Tirst Thanks to Volker and Greg

I did find an answer

I want to summarize it and then ask a second question.

Volker was right it was pass in proto udp rule that was needed but as =20
near as I could figure the bootps rule was not working for me.

so I added this rule to my firewall script

pass in log on $int_if proto udp from any to self keep state

This rule allows dhcp to work, but as I understand it would also allow =20
tftp and network boot to work as well as in all those cases tcp stack =20
has not been configured yet.

Thanks for the hint Volker.

Greg suggested that I do a tcpdump -s 96 -nleti pflog0 to see what was =20
going on.

I tried that and got no data captured, not a single entry.

one of my /etc/rc.conf variables is a pflog_path=3D"/var/log/pflog"

and that file has data in it, but it is hex data I'm assuming as ascii =20
tools didn't work to read the file.

ok so my network is working, thank you

but the tools that have been suggested to trouble shoot don't seem to work.

And I honestly don't know enough here to ask a good question, tcpdump =20
found the pflog0 interface and warned that no ip address was =20
configured, something that makes some sense so didn't really concern me.

Once again, can you point me in the right direction please.