Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 1997 13:06:00 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   _big_ IDE disks?

Ok, those of you that follow -hardware will know that I've been forced
to buy IDE disks for a couple of systems that I would much rather have
gone SCSI for.  No turning back now.

These are the 5GB Maxtor 'DiamondMax' disks we're talking about here,
talking to a Tekram P5H30WS motherboard (current Award BIOS).

The problem set looks something like this :

 - during probe, the disk is reported thus :

a8tor 85120 A8  ->: <
wd0: 633MB (9685824 sectors), 9224 cylinders, 16 heads, 61 S/T, 512 B/S

   Yes, that's garbage in the probe message.  The sizing is a shade screwed
   too.  The geometry is one that I put onto the disk forcibly using
   the FreeBSD installer, but _not_ that configured into the BIOS.

 - While installing, the installer seems to write the partition table OK,
   but can't write the label or swap on the disk.

Briefly, has anyone done anything with one of these disks before?  I get
the impression I'm walking in unknown territory here 8)