Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 07:02:27 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
Cc:        gmarco@masternet.it (Gianmarco Giovannelli), current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: editors

> I'm curious, what exactly is a newbie in this context, what sort of
> user group are we trying to win over?

It's not a question of "winning over" anyone or waging any significant
new campaigns - yeesh!  Has this whole editor thing ever gotten blown
out of proportion!  All I've ever wanted with this was one very very
simple thing: An editor that displays its keybindings on the screen.

The set of people who've never seen vi before includes everyone from
the unix newcomers to hardened computing professionals who've spent
their entire careers using VM/CMS or VMS machines and define the word
"editor" completely differently.  For those people, I don't want to
make a trip to Egghead for a vi book a necessary step in setting up
FreeBSD on the new Gateway machine some lazy sunday afternoon.  There
are already enough complexities in trying to bring a new user up from
a standing start (and yes, this SHOULD be possible - we're just not
there yet) without adding a cryptic, multi-mode editor to the equation.

For the record, I also bear _NO_ personal animosity to vi.  I know vi
very well indeed, I've used it for decades, I still use it about 50/50
with emacs (my fingers are simply wired for vi and I often use it in
reflex even with an emacs window lying around nearby :-).  This is not
about the vi users, this is about how to do effective bootstrapping
into UNIX and an entirely different topic.

As to the root defaults, that's not a problem - I'll simply add an
editor choice menu to sysinstall (where setting the editor has already
been possible for awhile in the Options screen) and tack it on the
configuration question path.  Whichever editor is chosen will also be
written into the root profile files at the time that /etc/sysconfig is
updated.

Problem solved?

					Jordan