Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 10:46:31 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@fly.HiWAAY.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Netscape 3.01, https, socket error

Lately I've been getting the darndest error with Netscape 3.01 and
2.2.2 (very current) on my work FreeBSD system but on my home system.

An attempt to connect via https to a (any) known SSL site yeilds an
error window stating:

        A network error occurred while Netscape
        was sending data.
        (Network Error: Socket is alreay connected)

        Try connecting again.

Netscape 4.03b8 doesn't have this problem. Am behind a firewall but
other non-FreeBSD systems don't have problems. And I didn't used
to have problems. Am not configured for a proxy server.

For kicks, I swapped IP addresses with a Mac that worked. No luck.

If this socket is already connected, how do I track it down? https is
on port 443. "netstat -a" doesn't show any port 443's.

Tomorrow I'll try bringing my modem to work to see if it works around
the firewall.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net (hm)