Date:      19 Nov 1998 01:27:37 +0100
From:      Oyvind Moll <oyvindmo@pvv.ntnu.no>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD Advocacy <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: distfiles

* Jeroen Ruigrok

| On 18-Nov-98 Oyvind Moll wrote:
| > [about using ftpsearch.ntnu.no for finding (nearby) site for
| >  distfile fetching...]
| > Is this doable; dynamically finding a distsite through a search
| > engine?  It might have to involve getting an MD5 hash from ftpsearch
| > to ensure that it's the right file, but perhaps that is already in
| > there.
|
| MD5 checksums oughtta be the same for a given file no matter where
| taken from.  So why should FTPSearch provide the MD5 hash?

To avoid the pain of double-fetching a possibly big file when someone
puts a corrupted file on a site close to you.  Checking the trojan
horse's teeth, or sumtin.  I don't think it's considered rude, at
least.  But then again; might not be worth the trouble.

| The thing I am wondering about is the fact how we are going to parse
| the results back to the client and how to provide a means of
| selecting the distsites. Heh, might even mean another of out
| (in?)famous native utilities =)
|
| Thoughts?

M-hm.  Some months ago I would have thought it an easy job to get
those nice FTPsearch-guys to give us a nice, easily parseable
interface to the search engine.  What with their recent stunt with
going commercial, depending on banners on their web front end, it
might be a bit harder.  I really don't know; haven't approached any of
them yet about this.

| > Am I talking nonsense?
|
| No, english ;)

Good grief.  What _am_ I doing?