Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 21:11:09 -0500
From:      jayyness@mindspring.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Not using Symbolic links correctly?

Trying to use a symbolic link to give access to ftp users that are outside of ftpchroot directory.  Read the man page and freebsddiary.org and thought I followed the directions correctly, but something isn't working right.

I have ftpusers ftpchroot'd to /ftp.
I have my mp3s in a partition of their own /mp3.

So I first tried (in the /ftp directory) ln -s /mp3 MP3s.
which created a /ftp/MP3s -> /mp3 file.  So on my Unix box, I cd MP3s and it drops me into the symbolic ./MP3s folder with my mp3 structure there... cool.  But when I try it with an ftp client I get "550: MP3s: No such file or directory"

Ok, so maybe it won't accept a file and I have to create a symbolic directory.  So I try ln -s /mp3 /ftp/ShortCutToMP3s  On the unix box I cd ./ShortCutToMP3s and everything seems to work appropriately.  But again, with the ftp client, same error when I try to navigate to that directory.

I have checked the permissions on the symlinks other=rx, also checked the permissions on the /mp3 directory o=rx.

What am I missing?

Oh, and when I try to remove ./ShortCutToMP3s I can't for some reason.

root:/ftp>rm ShortcutToMP3s/
rm: ShortcutToMP3s/: is a directory
root:/ftp>rmdir ShortcutToMP3s/
rmdir: ShortcutToMP3s/: Device busy