Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 1995 09:45:10 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        root@totum.muc.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: bin/514: mt & chflags must be static and/or in /bin

[Discussion moved to -hackers]

As root@totum.muc.de wrote:

> The mt is independent of the chflags problem.
> 	o I could not wind tho the 2'nd backup on the Tape (the /usr backup)
> 	  'cause of the shared mt.

You didn't learn your Unix lessons very well. :-)

What about

	cat /dev/nrst0 > /dev/null
?
:-)

Anyway, after merging the old st(8) functionality into mt(1), there
are other reasons now to put mt(1) into the set of ``emergency
recovery tools''.  You can use it now to setup the parameters of a
SCSI drive, and _this_ will be a showstopper if you need it and don't
have it.

/sbin is the wrong place.  The command is a user command, and used
to live under /usr/bin, so we should move it to /bin.

Other opinions?
--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/