Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 1997 13:39:47 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world error in RELENG_2_2

> If there is nothing wrong, why were so many people having problems all of a
> sudden?  I would say the lack of the login.conf in /etc was a 'problem'...

That was a problem.  Our problem. However, in every single case that
I've seen the world target falling over so far, it has been:

	a) A 2.2.x tree splatted on top of a previous generation src
	   tree (and that's bad).

	b) A bogus cvsup file, missing some crucial section of the
	   source code (src-all is a good target and highly recommended).

	c) Stale depends or includes.

Also note that RELENG_2_2 recently switched from SHARED=symlinks
to SHARED=copies by default.  This is not a 'problem' to be fixed
so much as a change to simply be cognizant of, and if you've any
doubts then blow away /usr/include and start over with a make includes;
in all cases, the solution is fairly simple when you think about it.

					Jordan