Date:      Fri, 08 Oct 1999 12:57:33 -0400
From:      Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disk partitions

At 06:50 PM 10/8/99 +0900, you wrote:
>Tom Embt wrote:
>>
>> If ever there was such a requirement, it is no longer applicable.  Some
>> (all?) off the various incantations of Windows need to boot < 1024 cyl
>> boundary (usually 8 GB), but they are happy in any slice.  IIRC, they do
>> have problems booting to anything other than primary master for IDE.
>
>There *is* a limitation. Windows will only boot from a primary
>partition.

I never said otherwise[1], but you are correct.  ..something that I've
stopped thinking of as a limitation bur rather a M$ fact of life :(

I've noticed the BSL documentation claims to be able to boot from extended
partitions if the OS supports it.  Does anyone know if this means Windows
can indeed be tricked into doing this?  If not, I must wonder what OS's
_do_ support such a thing.  I don't have the $$ to get a full version of it
to play with.

note 1: Actually I guess it depends on one's exact interpretation of my
words.  A more correct statement might have been: "The windows boot
partition can be any of the four slices, and that slice may be in any
location on the disk excepting BIOS limitations (8 GB limit)."  My thinking
is that booting from an extended partition (which Windows can't do anyway)
does not constitute booting from a slice, but instead from a small subset
("logical drive") of a slice, and therefore that slice cannot be defined as
_the_ Windows boot slice.  However you look at it, it's just nitpicking as
it seems clear that both you and I know what we're talking about.

Oh bother, I've written too much.  And it seems this isn't really
applicable to -stable anyway.  Darn.

Tom Embt
tom@embt.com