Date:      Wed, 1 May 1996 02:32:41 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@clinet.fi>
To:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@tombstone.sunrem.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ram w/o parity..

In article <Pine.BSF.3.91.960430134125.8575A-100000@tombstone.sunrem.com> Brandon Gillespie <brandon@tombstone.sunrem.com> writes:
   I am in grey area here, in my own experience, so I am dropping back to
   the pool of knowledge on this list.  I am building a FreeBSD internet box
   and I have some decisions.  If a motherboard can handle RAM w/o parity,
   should one just get sims without parity?  Is there any OS level impact or
   possible problem?  I'm running FreeBSD on a dell PC for my work station,
   and it is running without parity.  However, we have had problems running
   unixware on a PC w/o parity (we are actually a mac reseller, which is why
   we have so much ram w/o parity :)

If you are going to use the machine for serious work, the cost of 36 bit
memory will probably pay itself back with less data loss.  In particular if
you use a lot of memory.

ASUS already has triton-II board out (ECC, not just parity!) and FreeBSD
runs on it without problems (well, only one machine for about a week this
far :).  I haven't tried Intel boards as they require special box which
wasn't available from anyone yet, ASUS goes into standard enclosure.

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND, hsu@clinet.fi
mobile +358-40-5519679 work +358-0-4375360 fax -4555276 home -8031121