Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 1999 10:58:26 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Mark Newton <newton@atdot.dotat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-svr4@atdot.dotat.org, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [freebsd-svr4] Anyone working on SCO ELF binary emulation?

In the last episode (Apr 26), Mark Newton said:
> Dan Nelson wrote:
> > I have the duty of making the latest MicroFocus COBOL compiler run
> > on FreeBSD, and was wondering if anyone has had any luck getting
> > SCO/ELF binaries to run under emulation on -current.
>
> Yup, in certain limited cases.  It still needs work, though.
> Interested in helping out? :-)

That's why I'm here :)  I've got 5.0.2 and 5.0.4 installed on separate
boxes, so I have lots of binaries to test with.

> Hang on, are we talking about xenix or SCO here?  Your ktrace output
> includes svr4_sys_* routines (which come from the ELF svr4 emulator),
> but you're talking about ibcs2 stuff above.

Right.  Even the ELF svr4 binaries call syscall #40, which is the SCO
xenix syscall.  They like calling xenix_eaccess.

> > SCO's documentation lists it as SI86GETFEATURES, but of course
> > doesn't say what the arguments are, or what I should be returning.
> > My guess is that my failure to return valid info for this syscall
> > is what's making 'pwd' fail.
>
> Doubtful.  FreeBSD's emulation should work in total ignorance of what
> sysarch() returns (although sysarch() is emulated, so if that isn't
> the case then values can be fudged which stop executables from
> crashing).

Even though sysarch() is emulated, the SI86GETFEATURES subfunction is
not, so I was wondering if we should be returning an error message, or
fabricating some return value.  Is returning 0 a valid response, from
the SCO app's point of view?

Does Linux do svr4 emulation?

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com