Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 2015 23:11:40 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable ML <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Swap Usage

> On 29 July 2015, at 17:41, Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org> wrote:
>=20
> I have several FreeBSD 9.3 systems that are using swap and I can=E2=80=99=
t figure out what is doing it.  The key system has 6GB swap and =
currently it has over 2GB in use.  ps shows only a kernel module [intr] =
with a W status.  Obviously that isn=E2=80=99t using the space.  No =
other process shows a W in its status.  I suspect this is somewhat =
related to the use of mmap in one application.  However, all of the =
mmaps in that application are file backed and thus shouldn=E2=80=99t use =
swap.  How do I figure out what that swap space is being used for?

UFS although that shouldn=E2=80=99t matter.  Swap does not use a file =
system.  If it did, it would be easy to figure out.

Top doesn=E2=80=99t show much. =20=