Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 2021 08:47:03 -0700
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Subject:   Re: ssh_dispatch_run_fatal on Rpi4 building www/firefox

On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 02:22:42PM +0100, tech-lists wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 08:49:43AM -0700, bob prohaska wrote:
> > While attempting to compile www/firefox on an RPi4 running -current
> > the make process stopped with
> >
> > Bad packet length 3554809687.
> > ssh_dispatch_run_fatal: Connection to 192.168.1.11 port 22: Connection
>
> Is your compiling done on the microsd?

No, mechanical SATA drive in a USB3 case.

The immediate oddity was that make, running in the background,
was stopping when the ssh connection dropped. Normally, disconnecting
the controlling terminal on a background job doesn't kill the job.

> If it is, then that's your problem. The microsd is too slow. It causes
> bottlenecks and timeouts all over the place.

Agreed, but this wasn't a timeout. Maybe another misleading error message?

After several restarts of make in www/firefox which all stopped with
the same error I tried using the serial console. Make ran without
complaint and made considerable progress.

When I learned of the -E option to ssh I stopped the make session,
set up error logging, ran make clean in www/firefox and started over.

Make subsequently ran to completion and produced a runnable www/firefox.
This tempts me to think whatevever  triggered the error was among the
dependencies, which is difficult to understand and much harder to repeat.

Thanks for replying!

bob prohaska