Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 00:09:52 +0200
From:      Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Somebody to port Linux driver for SDLcomm board(s)?

>I never saw any response to this, maybe I missed it.

Only Ilia from .su responded, with mutual backscrtaching "deal", but I
haven't heard from him since.

>I think you'll have better luck sending something like this to -hackers
>or maybe -isp. FreeBSD-questions is not really appropriate and kernel
>types don't usually hang out here.

I looked at the lists and didn't see any one as particularly attractive for
this item.  I figured some list cop would shove me in the right direction.

>This sounds like it could be interesting. How do you imagine testing
>this ?

I would not develop it, so testing would be elsewhere.

>It's rather difficult trying to develop and test a driver by
>remote control.

remote control?

>  I've ported a few Linux drivers to FreeBSD and I can tell
>you that it's a big help having hardware available to test out one's
>understanding of the (frequently weird and obfuscated) Linux driver code.

Doug Haas at ImageStream-IS.com, SDL's reseller for the nickel-and-dime
customers and as developer for Linux drivers for SDL, says he can make the
cards available at essentially cost to support the porting effort.

But that's only part of the solution:  I'd like the FreeBSD and WANic 800
to take 34 megabits out of the HSSI port of a Kentrox T3/E3 DSU.  That IDSU
is about $2500 at cmpexpress.com.   Has anybody ever heard of a T3/E3 modem
eliminator at 34 megabits/sec for an HSSI interface?

>Of course, it's different if you have good documentation. But in that case
>there's no reason to base your driver on the Linux code ;-)

Doug Haas can make the Linux source available under license. I was poking
around the 3.2-R readme and was the SDL RIScom cards are already
supported.  So coding doesn't seem to out of reach, but a full speed, fully
equipped testbed seems "an issue", as the euphemism goes.

Len