Date:      Fri, 25 Mar 2011 17:44:50 +0100
From:      Michel Talon <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [ECFT] pkgng 0.1-alpha1: a replacement for pkg_install

> Julien Laffaye (jlaffaye@) and I, helped by Philippe Pepiot (huge
> contributor) have been working since the end of the last GSoC on a
> rewrite of pkg_install.

Fantastic! it has been necessary since a looong time.

> - the register command can analyse elf files when registering a new port
>   to discover forgotten dependencies if necessary. (done in alpha using
> libelf)

Fantastic! the dependencies as mentioned directly in Makefiles by
ports maintainers were not always perfect.

> In term of technology we decided to use a sqlite3 database, and to
>  prevent potential trolling, sqlite3 is used in it's amalgamation form
>  which means it is incorporated in the code sources (as recommanded by
>  sqlite developpers like a statically linked library) on build we only
>  activate the features we need in sqlite.

Fantastic! at least using something fast and tested instead of some
half-brewed solutions. I have just taken a look at the table "packages",
it seems that it does not contain dependency information, but you can
discover it through analyze_elf, where do you store it?

This project is the thing i had dreamed about.

--

Michel TALON