Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 1995 07:17:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        asami@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Update for bison 1.24

>  * ports without using the knob.  Satoshi, is there same way to add a
>  * ``MANPAGES= blah'' list to the bsd.port.mk files that would do the
>  * manual compression just like we do it for the /usr/src tree?  I don't
>
> This isn't very easy, the ports put manpages in all sorts of different
> places according to their preferences.  I think the best solution is
> to simply put

Then that is another issue.  Man pages should all live in /usr/local/man,
all MANPAGES values would be relative to /usr/local.  I think that it
should be doable, all be it a little tricky.

> .if !defined(NOMANCOMPRESS)
> .endif
>
> around all the gzip commands. :)

I would just as soon have the gzip commands be gone from the ports
makefiles, there are far too many of them around.  If you need some
help from me to try and make this work I would be willing to help
some time after June 15th (target date for move completion).

> I'll go in and fix all the Makefiles after 2.0.5R.  I was going to
> look at all the Makefiles to compress manpages anyway.

:-).