Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 1997 07:31:22 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew Perry <andrew@python.shoal.net.au>
To:        FreeBSD-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd.org vs vex.net

On Sat, 8 Mar 1997, Andreas Klemm wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 03, 1997 at 03:12:55PM -0500, Charles Henrich wrote:
> > The more I think about this, the more Im starting to feel we really should have
> > a freebsd.org team.  RSA is sponsering 12 contests, that will probably go over
> > an entire year.  How many people would be willing to move to a freebsd.org
> > team?  I'm very seriously considering switching my machines over..
>
> If there are people willed paying my phone costs ;-))
> I think for one hour in the night I'd do it on a daily basis
> with one or two machines ;-)

what i do is connect at 6pm and 6am, run the client 8 times, wait until
they download the keyspace mask, and then disconnect (after going through
the mail as well :) ) After about 12 hours they've all finished and are
waiting for me to connect them back up so they can get the next one.

seems to be working ok, only thing is now I can't work out a relevant
speed (keys/sec) anymore :) When I add all eight up it comes to about the
same figure I got when I was running one at a time but I don't think it's
exactly accurate because they don't all start and finish at the same time
as I get a lot of timeouts waiting for zero.genx.net, which is another
reason i'm doing it this way, around these times in the day (australian
daylight savings time) I don't have much problem getting through but later
on during the night it waits for hours to connect.

does anyone know approximately how long this challenge is going to take?

Andrew Perry
andrew@shoal.net.au