Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2014 13:21:40 +1100
From:      John Marshall <john.marshall@riverwillow.com.au>
To:        Bryan Drewery <bryan@shatow.net>
Cc:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg-version: Add support for documented [index] argument

--IJpNTDwzlM2Ie8A6

Note: Subject changed for mailing list
      [Was: Re: Seeking advice re contributing patches to pkgng]

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014, 07:53 -0600, Bryan Drewery wrote:
> On 2/20/2014 1:48 AM, John Marshall wrote:

> > No idea if this is the proper way to go about things but I have:
> >=20
> >  - cloned (mirrored) the github freebsd/pkg.git repository
> >    - (authenticated write access via ssh)
> >    - (public read-only access via git_daemon)
> >  - cloned a working copy from my mirror
> >  - created a branch (gnats186671)
> >  - committed my patches to that branch
> >  - pushed my branch up to my mirror=20
> >  - created a pull request (below) against my mirror

> > Is this the right way - or, at least, a suitable way - to get patches
> > into the system?  I do not want to create an account on github but
> > should like to know whether emailing somebody (or a mailing list), a
> > pull-request like this, or emailing patches, or posting a URL on irc,
> > or git format-patch, or... is the best way of contributing.
>=20
> I have not had a chance to review the patches yet. Github pull requests
> are definitely the preferred model for pkg, but not required. You've
> come this far, signing up is fast and then you just need to fork
> freebsd/pkg and then push your branch to your repo and it will give you
> a nice Pull Request button.

"a nice Pull Request button" is not a big selling point with me :-)

As I said, I don't want to sign up to github, so I'm looking for the
next-best means of contributing.  Is a native git pull request (as
below) not acceptable?

> Otherwise patches mailed to pkg@FreeBSD.org or a PR with patches are the
> next best step. I'd advise keeping things public instead of to me or
> Baptiste directly as then others can review and we do have several other
> committers that can merge the code in.

Thank you.  I have subscribed to FreeBSD-pkg@ and will send a copy of
this pull request and email there.  If the pkgng team will only take
pull requests via github, then I'm happy to revert to sending patches
via email or PR.  I already have the pkg/version.c patch attached to a
PR (ports/186671) but that is a subversion ports tree patch against the
ports-mgmt/pkg port's files/patch-pkg_version.c and perhaps that is not
the proper gnats category for pkgng PR's anyway?

I did put a lot of effort into the commit logs in my gnats186671 branch.

> I am a good reviewer for the index changes as if I recall correctly I
> was the last to rework some of that a while back.
>=20
> For these specific patches I can take a look in the next few days and
> get back to you.

Thank you very much Bryan.  I appreciate your time and advice.

The following changes since commit 923e171e391a524e6c5de964ccd5c5f3f1d55a9c:

  pkg: Support bootstrap -f (2014-02-01 12:24:17 -0600)

are available in the git repository at:

  git://rwsrc.riverwillow.com.au/freebsd/pkg.git gnats186671

for you to fetch changes up to 6905bac9255ca4f30589b544d6005cb2fd8c6cc6:

  pkg-version: Add support for documented [index] argument (2014-02-20 15:3=
2:38 +1100)

John Marshall (3):
      Hit ordering in the OPTIONS section with a large style(9) hammer
      style(9) ordering of options in usage_version()
      pkg-version: Add support for documented [index] argument

----
 pkg/version.c     |  40 +++++++++++++---

--=20
John Marshall

--IJpNTDwzlM2Ie8A6

--IJpNTDwzlM2Ie8A6--