Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 2014 10:05:14 -0700
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Using CARP with multiple IP aliases (FBSD 10.0)

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 9:34 AM, Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
wrote:

> I can't say I've used it in that way and I'm not sure how carp decides ho=
> to fail over when it has multiple IP's available.

=E2=80=8BI'm hoping, and my testing appears to corroborate, that it fails b=
ased on
the interface state, and all IPs transfer over at once (CARP systctl set to
fail everything at once if any one interface state changes).=E2=80=8B

> I can confirm you don't need all the params when adding an IP to vhid.
> so you can for example configure the vhid and then add the IP's or do
> as you have done and configure it on the first IP.

=E2=80=8BThat's good to hear.  Will simplify things a bit.=E2=80=8B

> Best thing to do is try it and see.

=E2=80=8BThat's scheduled for tomorrow morning.  :)  I'll try it first with=
 only
setting pass/advskew on the vhid once, and just adding the alias IPs to the
vhid.  If that doesn't fix things, then I'll try with a separate vhid per
IP.

The reason I was asking about this is that I have a pair of systems in
place now (sys1 and sys2, with sys1 configured with advskew 1 to make it
always master) where everything works wonderfully for between 5 and 15
minutes.

If I down an interface on sys1, or physically remove a cable from sys1,
everything fails over to sys2 and traffic continues normally.=E2=80=8B

=E2=80=8B  If I bring the interface back up on sys1, then everything fails =
back
over to sys1 and traffic continues.

After 5-15 minutes, though, igb0 on both boxes switches to master state.
 :(  igb1, igb2, and igb3 on sys2 all stay in backup state.  And then
traffic slows to a crawl as the upstream switch gets confused and sends
packets=E2=80=8B randomly between the two hosts.

Manually changing state to backup on igb0 on sys2 fixes things for about 3
seconds, and then it switches back to master.

Once this happens, tcpdump on both systems only shows VRRPv2 packets from
sys1, nothing from sys2.=E2=80=8B  I have to reboot sys2 in order to get th=
ings
working again.

As I said, this is the first time I've used CARP with multiple shared IPs
on an interface (NAT firewall), so I may be doing things "wrong" or
non-optimally.  :)

--=20
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com