Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 21:16:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel -c crashes on exit

> (btw, does anyone here know if a Linux kernel can reboot automatically
> after a crash? Nobody on the linux-lists I have found can answer...
> Anyway, back to FBSD:)

Here's a chunk outta kernel 2.0.35, /usr/src/linux/kernel/panic.c

do_unblank_screen();

if (panic_timeout > 0)
{
    /*
     * Delay timeout seconds before rebooting the machine.
     * We can't use the "normal" timers since we just panicked..
     */

     printk(KERN_EMERG "Rebooting in %d seconds..",panic_timeout);

     for(i = 0; i < (panic_timeout*1000); i++)
               udelay(1000);

#ifdef CONFIG_SCSI_GDTH
                gdth_halt();
#endif
     hard_reset_now();
}

for(;;);

--- end of chunk --

The default action is to simply halt -- but it does have the option to do
a hard reset after panic_timeout seconds....  Didn't look into how this
value gets set, but it's probably a LILO argument.

Hope it answered your question.

mike