Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 2020 11:14:25 -0600
From:      Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        Mike Wayne <FreeBSD_jail@wayne47.com>
Cc:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: jails with quota

> On Feb 17, 2020, at 10:51 AM, Mike Wayne <FreeBSD_jail@wayne47.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 01:53:11PM -0500, Ernie Luzar wrote:
>>=20
>> But after starting the fulljail with the allow.quotas option in=20
>> jail.config and entering the root console I get this
>> edquota -uh daddy message "NO quotas on any filesystem
>> repquota -ah gives nothing
>> quota -h daddy  message Disk quotas for user daddy (uid1001): none
>>=20
>> I see that quota had bug fixed in 12.0 that is now in 12.1 release =
that=20
>> I am running on my host. Did that fix screw up jail quotas? Does the=20=

>> /etc/fstab file in fulljail need a entry? If so what should it look =
like.
>=20
> I spent a lot of time messing with this and came to the conclusion
> that quotas no longer work in jails. I've been doing quotas in jails
> for many years, while it has always been a hack, it used to work
> well.  Current releases seem to have completely broken quotas for
> jails.

I am sure jail restricts commands related to filesystem management and =
information on purpose. Therefore all commands related to quotas if =
executed inside jail will fail [or rather not provide any information. =
Quotas, however, will still be enforced, as filesystem I/O operations =
are being passed over to be executed on actual filesystem outside on the =
jail.

The above sentiment is related to the way I mount filesystem to have =
quota restrictions inside jail.

I mount actual filesysten with quotas into

/some/place

and enable quotas on the as usually. Then I mount that nullfs inside =
jails (have line in /etc/fstab resembling the following mount command):

mount -t nullfs /some/place /place/inside/jail/mountpoint

And users inside jail are being restricted to the qutas defined for =
their userid=E2=80=99s.

I hope, this helps.

Valeri