Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 10:21:53 +0000
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEVFS/SLICE and SOFT UPDATE patches.

On Wed, Feb 25, 1998 at 02:52:23AM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Use http://www.freebsd.org/~julian/ if you are using a brain-damaged
> browser.  For some reason, the trailing "/" is important to the WWW
> server on FreeeBSD.org...
>
> This is a job for... Variant Symbolic Links! <Dut Dut Da!>

Uh, no it isn't. It's a job for people to start writing URLs properly.

If you're referring to a directory (as the URL above is) then you must
include the trailing slash. Otherwise, the webserver thinks you're trying
to retrieve a file of that name instead.

When the web server realises that the file is not there, it will either

  a) Return the appropriate "File not found" code to the browser

or

  b) Speculatively put a '/' on the end and try again.

I don't think any web servers currently do (b), but I wouldn't stake my
life on it.

When a server responds with (a) the browser may or may not speculatively
put a '/' on the end and resubmit the request. Most browsers do indeed do
this. Some obviously don't, and I presume these are the 'brain damaged ones'
referred to above.

The overall effect is to contribute to the general slow down of the 'net,
since your browser is submitting two requests to the server. Network
traffic increases, browser logs are artificially inflated, servers that
speculatively spawn multiple children to handle 'n' requests will kill
those children earlier when they've done less useful work, and so on.

We now return you to your "Ethernet vs. Token Ring" discussion. . .

--+==[ Nik Clayton is Just Another Perl Hacker at Interactive Investor ]==+--
			     . . . and relax