Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 1996 20:42:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      jack <jack@diamond.xtalwind.net>
To:        "Neil I. Fowler Wright" <neil@corpex.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FTP Users

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Neil I. Fowler Wright wrote:

>         I have a server running as an ftpd server only for which I have a
> particular requirement.
>
>         It has 3 users, 2 normal Id's and one 'admin' id that is non-root
> and non-wheel. I assume that to have the normal users only have access to
> their own areas, and the admin have access to all users areas, I need to
> sort out the group allocations for the  'normal' users. If I make all the
> users the same group, then how do I stop all the users having access to
> each others data.

Use wu-ftpd.  In /etc/ftpaccess use:

guestgroup	normal1gid
guestgroup	normal2gid

Make sure the `admin' dude's group is not one of those two.  When the
other two connect they will be chroot(ed) to their own home directory.
You'll have to add a /bin directory to each of their home directories with
a copy of, or a hard link to, a statically linked version of ls.  Or just
be Mr.  Nasty and make them remember what's in there.  :)

Jack O'Neill                    Finger jacko@onyx.xtalwind.net or
jack@xtalwind.net               http://www.xtalwind.net/~jacko/pubpgp.html
#include <std_disclaimers.h>    for my PGP key.
 PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD