Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 2003 08:51:55 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        mrb@bmyster.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSUP howto ???

On Monday 22 September 2003 08:18 am, Brent Bailey wrote:
> I was looking aroung trying to find a decent howto on CVSUP...seeing
> as ive never had good luck with it .. i found this ...does this look
> like the right procedure ??
> this is what ive been doing ...but ive only had it actually work one
> time ..all  other systems ive done this on,,,it has failed BADLY
> hence cant do "ps" or "w" or other needed commands
>
> Create /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/supfile:
> *default host=cvsup8.FreeBSD.org
> *default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4
> *default delete use-rel-suffix
> *default compress
> src-all
> ports-all tag=.
>
> then let cvs run in crontab and get all the new src...
> then did:
>

> cd /usr/src
> make buildworld
> make buildkernel kernconf={kern conf name}
> (optional--boot into single user mode)
> make installworld
> mergemaster -p

You also have to installkernel before you boot to single user mode.
KERNCONF is in caps. If you include your KERNCONF parameters in /etc/
make.conf. You can simply "make kernel".

> please help ...as i need to update a whole bunch of systems because
> of the latest cert releases...

I am one of the people that think ports-all shouldn't be updated at the
same frequency as src-all. The reason is that updating ports is most
easily accomplished using portupgrade. This requires that you update
/usr/ports/INDEX and INDEX.db with every cvsup or ports-all. I update
INDEX and INDEX.db on a fast machine and ftp the INDEXes to the slower
machines. I use 2 scripts. One updates the INDEXes and the other
doesn't. I run the one that doesn't on the slower machines.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA