Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 2002 17:12:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        qa@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   4.7 Alpha post-mortem

[ re@ bcc'd, thread should be on qa@ ]

I installed the 4.7 Alpha disc1 on a PWS 500a today to test it out.
For the most part it worked well but there were some minor nits:

1) X doesn't seem to like my video card.  X just didn't work after
   the machine was installed.  Trying to run the graphical X setup
   from sysinstall hung the machine, but I think this is a result of
   X not liking my video card (S3 968).  I did try out the curses
   based X config though, and I must say that it is better than the
   graphical one as it does more handholding and also looks quite
   nice, esp. when run from a text-mode installer such as sysinstall.
2) The time zone question should default to NO (assume clock set to
   local time) rather than UTC IMO.  I think this is something that
   would have to be changed in tzsetup, not in sysinstall.  Hmm,
   it seems we assume a UTC clock for alpha and sparc64 on purpose.
   I guess this should be left alone then.
3) I got a lot of errors on vty2 (debug tty) when adding packages
   about -a not being a valid option for 'ldconfig'.  I do not know
   why ldconfig is being invoked with '-a' but it would be nice to
   track this down.
4) One thing I noted specific to my environment is that while I
   could enable ntpdate, I could not enable ntpd from sysinstall.
   Granted, ntpd requires an ntp.conf config file, so that may be
   the valid reason for that.
5) One thing I noticed is that one cannot setup NFS mounts in fstab
   from sysinstall.  This might be a nice feature to have some day.
   I mount /home via NFS on all my test machines.
6) Even though I can enable the nis client from sysinstall, I can't
   actually turn on NIS in the password and group files from
   sysinstall.  It might be nice to have sysinstall ask you if it
   should enable it by writing appropriate lines to the two files
   when you enable nis_client_enable.

Other than that it worked great.  I must admit that most of these
are really feature requests more than bug reports.

Now off to try and get a 5.0 release built so I can test that...