Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 18:19:53 +0200
From:      Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>
To:        Kyle Rollin <klined@orbimus.dhs.org>
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WWW/CVS Mirror ... Information ?

Dear Kyle,

Kyle Rollin wrote on Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 11:54:40AM -0400:
[..]
> I am interested in becoming an official mirror for FreeBSD, on the machine
> that lives on my University T3. It is a Pentium Pro 200MHz, with 64MB of
> RAM and a direct T3 connection to the Internet. The machine currently
> lives at the University of Hartford, in W. Hartford, CT, USA.
[..]
> I'm prepared to upgrade the machine with a dedicated 2.5GB HD for FreeBSD
> mirroring, as well as an additional 64MB of RAM.

First, thanks for your offer and your commitment to contribute
to the distribution of FreeBSD.

I cannot speak for the project, just for myself.
Alas, your equipment seems not sufficient for the job.
A full mirror of FreeBSD can consume up to 50 GB,
you would have to make a _very careful_ selection of what to mirror
and still have to fight with full filesystems.
Bandwidth may be ok, but could become a bottleneck.

CPU and memory may not be the issue, but will also limit
the number of clients (and the services you can offer)
(esp. memory).

Here are some figures for my site, which handles on average
about 40 FTP , 3 rsync and 2 cvsup connections (but not just FreeBSD):

4 x PPro 200 (just like yours, but a 4-way SMP), 512 MB RAM,
and ~ 400 GB on disk arrays, 100Mbps switched to a shared
OC-12 line.

Best regards,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock
     - kommst du siehst du, gehst du hast du, weisst du, krass! -