Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 2014 06:51:49 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ICU sweeping upgrade: bug or feature?

On Sun, 9 Feb 2014, Andrea Venturoli wrote:

> On 02/08/14 18:08, Warren Block wrote:
>
>> This may very well come back to bite you in the future,
>
> Well, as I said, this is just a temporary fix for something that, IMVHO,
> shouldn't have broken in the first place.

Well, yes.

>> causing
>> mysterious failures long after you've forgotten you did it.
>
> I periodically clean /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg, so it shouldn't be long
> before the links and the libraries they are aliasing are both gone.
>
> However, what is different here from what portupgrade usually does (i.e.
> leaving old libraries in that compat dir)?

Sorry, I had missed that.  No, it should not be as bad in compat/pkg,
particularly as a temporary thing.  Soft-linking libraries in the main
shlib directories has come up as a frequent "fix" in the forums, along
with trying to fix the long-term problems because it is usually
considered a fix rather than a temporary workaround.

>> Running pkg_libchk [-q] after port upgrades has worked well for me.  It
>> is from sysutils/bsdadminscripts by Dominic Fandrey, and easily detects
>> applications that are using old libraries and should be rebuilt.  It
>> worked this time also.
>
> I normally use sysutils/libchk. I never tried pkg_libchk, but I'm curious.
> What is the advantage of one over the other?

>From memory, the output of pkg_libchk was more useful than that of
libchk.